Who we are
Cherryleaf is a company formed in 2002 by four people with a passion for technical communication and learning development. Today, we’re based in London’s “Silicon upon Thames” and Brighton. Our clients are based mostly around Europe (although if you are based elsewhere, we still may be able to help).
We have a combination of technical knowledge and communication skills. We apply these, in most cases, by creating written content. However, technical writing only tells part of the story.
About our clients
Product and Project Managers
They’re working in software, medical equipment, and technology companies, and they need technical reference, Help, compliance, UI/UX content, or training documentation for their products and services.
Managers responsible for compliance
They need clear and policies, procedures and other compliance information written for their staff.
Who need to recruit a technical communicator or a similar role.
Developers who write user documentation
They want to improve their communication skills.
Professional technical communicators
They want training to become a better technical communicator.
People starting their careers as a technical communicator
They want to improve their skills.
What we produce for you
These days, it can misleading to think only in terms of paper manuals, online Help, or even a document itself. What we produce could appear as sentence on a dialog screen, a pop-up definition on a web page, a callout in an onboarding screen, as a subtitle to a video walkthrough, and so on.
Content as Service Design
We see content as Service Design – bridging the gap between what users want to do, and the things users cannot figure out for themselves. This means the mindset of:
- Empathy for users and for learners
- Content is there for a purpose.
- You need the right information for your audience.
- Explaining in a way that users can understand
- You can’t fit all the information users need into a UI screen
- Create content that is useful, usable, findable, credible, accurate, concrete, and complete.
- Use clear English.
- Using any tool, not just documents
- We take a vendor-neutral view. We want to recommend the best solution for your needs.
- Offering a range of services
- We can still help even when you want to do a lot of it yourself.
Ellis is a Consulting Technical Communicator and Director at Cherryleaf. He has been working in technical communication since the early 1990s. He has a degree in Business Studies. He is also:
- Member of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators
- Associate of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
- An ISTC Management Council member
In 2017, he was listed as one of the top 25 Content Experience influencers in the world. He is a regular conference speaker on technical communication topics.
Ginny has a background as a skilled trainer and information designer. She has over twenty years experience in teaching and training throughout the world. Ginny has extensive project management skills. She also has considerable experience using the main technical authoring tools.
Ginny is fluent in Spanish.
- An MSc (in Information Systems)
- A BA (in Spanish Studies)
- A RSA TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) certificate
Ginny manages the development of Cherryleaf’s training courses.
Awards, Books and Memberships
Training course accreditations
Cherryleaf’s Technical Author/technical writing training course‘s content is accredited by the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators, the professional body for Technical Communicators in the United Kingdom. It is an independent assessment of the course’s quality. This course is also recommended by The Australian Society for Technical Communication and The Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand to their members.
Cherryleaf’s Advanced Technical Communication training course is recommended by The Australian Society for Technical Communication and The Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand to their members.
Cherryleaf’s staff are contributors to the following books:
- The Language of Technical Communication. 2016. XML Press.
- Current Practices and Trends in Technical Communication. 2017. ISTC Books.
Registered in England 4575705
VAT Number 803 2288 54
Dealing with Brexit and working in EU27 countries
We have plans in place to set up a sister company in an EU27 country. This means we will still be able to work for organisations in countries that are in the European Union.
Carol Johnston MA (Cantab), who was one of Cherryleaf’s original founders, died on 22 January 2012. Please see the eulogy on our blog.