The official Every Page is Page One course is now available in Europe
This is the official course, licensed from Mark Baker, the creator of the Every Page is Page One model.
About the Every Page is Page One method
Every Page is Page One (EPPO) is an approach to topic-based writing based on the way readers forage for information online. Whether or not your content itself is on the web, your readers are. They bring to your content the information foraging behaviours of the Web.
Every Page is Page One is a tool-neutral approach to topic-based writing. It is suitable for those writing in DITA, a wiki, a Web CMS, or a conventional desktop publishing system, word processor, or Help authoring tool.
Who is this for?
This course is for any one involved in technical writing, and who wants to :
- Understand how the web has changed how people seek and consume technical information
- Understand how these changes affect technical documentation
- Learn the seven principles of Every Page is Page One information design
- Apply these principles to topic design
What will I learn?
After taking this course, students will:
- Understand information foraging and the role that information scent plays in readers finding, recognising, and consuming information.
- Understand the difference between top-down and bottom-up content organisation and navigation, when to choose each approach, and how and when to combine them.
- Be able distinguish between building-block and presentational topics.
- Be able to construct a self-contained topic.
- Be able to define the specific and limited purpose of a topic.
- Be able to define the type of a topic and to derive a topic type from examples.
- Be able to create topics that establish their context adequately.
- Be able to define the qualified audience for a topic and write for that audience.
- Be able to define the appropriate level for a topic and keep the topic on that level.
- Be able to define a linking strategy for a topic set based on defined subject affinities.
This course is available as an onsite classroom course, usually at your own location. You have option of modifying it to suit your requirements. The course includes live demonstrations, explanations and activities to help you as you learn. It is also available as a live online course for in-house teams .
You’ll also receive course materials that are yours to keep and refer to after you’ve completed the course.
- Technical communication in the context of the web
- Why users use the web
- Information architecture top-down
- Information architecture bottom-up
- What is a topic?
- Every Page is Page One topics are self-contained
- Every Page is Page One topics serve a specific and limited purpose
- Every Page is Page One topics conform to a type
- Every Page is Page One topics establish context
- Every Page is Page One topics assume the reader is qualified
- Every Page is Page One topics stay on one level
- Every Page is Page One topics link richly
- Covering a large subject
- Wrap up and questions
Use our training services contact form to tell us more.
If you can’t see the course you want, we may still be able to meet your needs.