Sometimes it’s good for managers to look at a department in a slightly different way from normal. What, for example, if the Technical Publications department was a business? If a business troubleshooter were to come in and ask key commercial questions, could they be answered?
Questions such as:
- Would it know how many customers it had?
- Would it know who its competitors were?
- Would it know its competitive advantage was?
- Would it know what its customer thought of its products?
- Would it know how well its products addressed its customers’ needs?
- How well does it manage its suppliers, so it can produce its products efficiently?
How would you answer these?