Who we are
Cherryleaf is a technical writing services company formed in 2002 by four people with a passion for technical communication and learning development. Today, we’re based just to the west of London and in Brighton. Our clients are based mostly in the UK, the European Union, and the USA. If you are based elsewhere, we still may be able to help.
What we produce for you
These days, it can misleading to think only in terms of paper manuals, online Help, or even a document itself. What we produce could appear as sentence on a dialog screen, a pop-up definition on a web page, a callout in an onboarding screen, as a subtitle to a video walkthrough, and so on.
We see content as Service Design – bridging the gap between what users want to do, and the things users cannot figure out for themselves. This means the mindset of:
- Empathy for users and for learners
- Content is there for a purpose.
- You need the right information for your audience.
- Explaining in a way that users can understand
- You can’t fit all the information users need into a UI screen
- Create content that is useful, usable, findable, credible, accurate, concrete, and complete.
- Use clear English.
- Using the right tool and medium
- We take a vendor-neutral view. We want to recommend the best solution for your needs.
- Offering a range of services
- We can still help even when you want to do a lot of it yourself.
- We’ve trained over a thousand people in technical communication. Join in!
Why use Cherryleaf?
Here are a few reasons why someone might consider using our services:
- Expertise: Cherryleaf has over 20 years of experience in technical communication and e-learning. Our team includes experienced technical writers, instructional designers, and trainers who can create high-quality content for a wide range of industries and audiences.
- Efficiency: Cherryleaf can help you create content quickly and efficiently, allowing you to focus on other aspects of your business. We use best practices and tools to streamline the content creation process, ensuring that your content is delivered on time and on budget.
- Quality: Cherryleaf is committed to creating high-quality content that meets your specific needs. We use a structured approach to content development, which includes planning, writing, editing, and testing, to ensure that your content is accurate, clear, and effective.
- Flexibility: Cherryleaf can work with you to create content in a variety of formats, including online help, user manuals, training materials, and e-learning courses. We can also work with you to develop a content strategy that aligns with your business goals and objectives.
- Customer service: Cherryleaf is known for our exceptional customer service. We work closely with clients to understand their needs and provide personalised support throughout the content development process.
Ellis is a Consulting Technical Communicator and Director at Cherryleaf. He has been working in technical communication since the early 1990s. He has a degree in Business Studies. He is also:
- A Member of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC)
- An Associate of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
He was a judge for the UK Technical Communication Awards 2020 and the DevPortal Awards 2020. He is a regular conference speaker on technical communication topics.
Ginny has a background as a skilled trainer and information designer. She has over twenty years experience in teaching and training throughout the world. Ginny has extensive project management skills. She also has considerable experience using the main technical authoring tools.
Ginny is fluent in Spanish.
- An MSc (in Information Systems)
- A BA (in Spanish Studies)
- A RSA TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) certificate
Ginny manages the development of Cherryleaf’s training courses.
Awards, Books and Memberships
Training course accreditations
Cherryleaf’s Technical Author/technical writing training course‘s content is accredited by the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators, the professional body for Technical Communicators in the United Kingdom. It is an independent assessment of the course’s quality. This course is also recommended by The Australian Society for Technical Communication and The Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand to their members.
Cherryleaf’s Advanced Technical Communication training course is recommended by The Australian Society for Technical Communication and The Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand to their members.
Cherryleaf’s staff are contributors to the following books:
- The Language of Technical Communication. 2016. XML Press.
- Current Practices and Trends in Technical Communication. 2017. ISTC Books.
Registered in England 4575705
VAT Number 803 2288 54
Carol Johnston MA (Cantab), who was one of Cherryleaf’s original founders, died on 22 January 2012. Please see the eulogy on our blog.
Want to discuss your situation, and explore how Cherryleaf can help you? You can tell us about your project, issues and goals. We’re here to help.