Learn to write clearly by taking the same technical writing courses that Google engineers take
Cherryleaf can teach your developers using Google’s own courseware.
We also offer additional training materials developed independently by ourselves.
You’ll have access to a framework and templates to help you with your writing. You’ll also have the opportunity to practice and review your work.
Google has developed two technical writing classes that it has delivered to thousands of its own staff. Cherryleaf can now deliver the same courses to your developers, together with additional training materials that we have developed independently.
There are two courses:
- Technical Writing for Developers Part One
- This covers the critical basics of technical writing. It teaches you how to write clearer technical documentation.
- Technical Writing for Developers Part Two
- This covers intermediate topics in technical writing and communication. It teaches topics such as creating sample code, tutorials, images and diagrams.
Both courses will improve your technical writing skills. You’ll gain confidence you’re approaching each writing project in the right way, and creating content that follows best practice.
Who are these courses for?
The courses have been designed for:
- Software engineers
- Software engineering students
In addition, other people involved in software development (such as product managers) can benefit from these courses, especially if they:
- Want to communicate more clearly and effectively
- Want to know how little, or how much, they should write
- Struggle with planning their writing
- Want people to answer their own support questions
Technical Writing for Developers Part One
This course is for developers who:
- Have never taken any technical writing training courses before.
- Are looking for refresher training in technical writing.
Technical Writing Developers Part Two
This course is for:
- People who have completed Technical Writing Part One and are looking for for more technical writing training.
If you’re not a developer
If you are a Technical Author/Writer, or you are developing documentation for end users, you might be interested in our Technical Author/technical writing learning course.
Delegates need to have basic writing proficiency in English.
What will I learn?
- How to communicate clearly, even if writing doesn’t come naturally
- How to save time and write in an efficient way
- Confidence in the work you produce
You’ll have access to a framework and templates to help you with your writing.
This list includes some additional optional content developed independently by Cherryleaf
- Writing clearer sentences
- How to write instructions
- The basics of English grammar
- Using the active voice
- Style, tone and voice
Writing for your audience
- Identifying your target audience
- Understanding your target audience’s needs
- Support reading to do, study, and locate
Designing your information
Structuring your information
- Chunking your content into topics
- Sequencing the information
- Organising large documents
Defining your document’s purpose and scope
- Defining your document’s purpose and scope
- Writing different types of documents
- Defining the outcomes
Planning and outlining your writing
- Top down planning
- How do you write a first draft?
- Bottom up planning
- How to write and present different types of information
Writing in Markdown
- Using Markdown to write documentation
- Alternatives to Markdown
Using images and diagrams
- Planning and creating diagrams
- Using images
- Using screenshots
Writing clear code samples
- Writing code samples
- Using Markdown, HTML, and Word to write code samples
Reviewing and editing your content
- Verification and validation
Technical Writing for Developers Part One and Technical Writing for Developers Part Two are available as classroom courses. They also include some online, pre-class, teaching materials.
Each course typically comprises:
- 2-3 hours of pre-course learning and exercises
- 1/2 day classroom learning (this can be extended with additional, non-Google content)
We would be happy to discuss whether it would make sense to teach both courses together as a one day course.
Cherryleaf trainers can teach the courses in the UK and across mainland Europe.
For individuals who are not able to attend classroom courses, we are developing, independently of Google, a technical writing for developers e-learning course. This will comprise recorded videos, exercises (with the option to send them to us for feedback), checklists, and framework documents.
It will be available to people living around the world.
If you’d like updates on when this course will be released, use the form below:
Accreditations and certificates
Google has no plans to accredit any trainer or organisation delivering this course. It is not planning to accredit any of the delegates, or to provide certificates.
However, Cherryleaf can provide a course certificate to delegates at the end of the course.
We also have stickers.
Course options and prices
Prices relate to the provision of a trainer to facilitate the classroom element of the courses, and any non-Google training materials used in the course.
The prices for the classroom courses depend on the number of delegates taking them. If you have a rough idea of numbers, then we can put together a quotation for you
Contact us for more details.
Contact us for more information
Use our training services contact form to tell us more.
If you can’t see the course you want, we may still be able to meet your needs.