#4514 Contract Technical Author, WFH UK, 3-6 months
Our client is looking for a Technical Author who can work with them for the next 3-6 months to provide revisions to their public documentation for their next release.
They develop event streaming technology (similar to Apache Kafka) that pushes and optimises the delivery of data to Web, mobile, and IoT applications. The company is fully remote, although they prefer staff to be located in the UK.
Their documentation is in American English and follows a style guide, so the ability to write to that guide is very important. It is written in DITA. The content comprises how-to guides, SDKs, and API documentation. The engineers provide code samples.
You need to be able to grasp a complex technical product and work with their engineers to convey changes to the technology in a clear way for a mid-level technical audience. Rate is negotiable.
#4513 Freelance/Perm Technical Writer North America/Europe
We have been approach by a client who is looking for a Technical Writer. They are developing an innovative globally replicated P2P data store that uses NoSQL style document store databases, Conflict-Free Replicated Data Types, content addressable identifiers, and semantically linked data. The data storage system uses Content Identifiable Data and Merkle Directed Acyclic Graphs, which allows the data coming in and out of the database to be self verifiable, and self-describing.
They want recruit a freelancer, with a view to taking them on full time. The work will involve documenting SDKs (Rust, Go, possibly C++), and APIs. They are interested in people with experience of documenting NGINX and Etherium. You can be WFH in either North America, or possibly Europe. Rate negotiable.
#4512 Technical Author, Edinburgh/WFH, £34K-£51K, + benefits
Our client is looking to recruit a Technical Author/Writer to document the internal systems infrastructure and applications used by its international team of developers.
The company is operating a Work From Home policy to July 2022. You will be expected to work in their office from that point on, although some remote working might be possible for part of the week. The client may consider relocation assistance, and visa sponsorship for the right exceptional candidate.
They will consider candidates at junior, mid, or senior levels.
About the role
You’ll be working:
- For a company that develops computer games, in a very creative environment.
- With the technical writing team, which is spread across three continents.
You will be responsible for creating, reviewing and maintaining technical documentation for the development teams.
Your skills and experience
You must have:
- At least two years experience creating written technical documentation. Examples must be provided with your application.
- They will consider graduate applications, if you have some examples of relevant work (technical documentation, tutorials, or other training material)
- Experience of working with Confluence or a similar application (such as a Help authoring tool)
- Experience of creating video walkthrough (e.g. Camtasia) content
- Some knowledge or familiarity of:
- IT server hardware/software
- A data centre environment
Ideally, you will also have some knowledge or familiarity of:
- Console and PC gaming hardware
- Mobile devices: iOS, iPadOS and Android
- Game development and/or an interest in computer games
The company has very generous benefits and holiday package. These include a discretionary annual bonus, 34 days annual holiday, share option scheme, pension, healthcare, well-being programme, flexible working hours, and discounts off their computer games.
#4511 Technical Author, Warwickshire (and WFH), up to £45K DOE
Update: The client has just recruited one Technical Author, and it is looking to recruit a second to start in Feb/March 2022.
Our client is looking for an experienced Technical Author to join its team. The company develops marketing data analysis and automation software, for clients around the world.
You’ll be developing documentation for users and the the company’s business partners. This will involve identifying the needs of end users and System Administrators, and then developing the right documentation to assist them. To do this, you’ll work closely with developers and other team members to gather the content.
The company is open to its staff working from home on a long-term basis, but there will be a need to go to the office periodically when the Covid situation allows.
They offer a salary of up to £45,000 depending on experience and personal performance. Benefits include a profit share scheme, 8% pension contribution, medical cover, flexible working time, and 5 weeks annual leave.
You must have:
- Experience as a Technical Author (or similar role).
- Knowledge of MadCap Flare.
- Experience of working in the software sector.
- A passion for ongoing personal development.
Ideally, you will have:
- At least 3 years’ experience as a Technical Author (or similar role).
- Experience of using Adobe Photoshop or similar.
- Localisation experience.
- Good knowledge of HTML, XML, CSS, and scripting.
- An understanding of topic-based authoring.
#4510 Structured Content Product Evangelist, Côte d'Azur/Provence France, €50k-€70k
This client develops software for Technical Publications teams, and it looking for someone to promote and market their products. This would be a good opportunity for a Technical Author who is looking to move into marketing, or for a Product Marketing Manager who likes to promote structured documentation software.
The company is small and well-established, and is based in Provence, France.
They want to take an experienced Technical Author with structured authoring experience and train them to become a product marketing writer and evangelist for their structured authoring tool.
You will work as an ambassador for a new solution for structured authoring.
This will include:
- Demonstrating at events
- Engaging with online and offline communities
- Writing articles and other promotional content
You will also be involved in improving the UX of the product.
The company would assist in relocation and work visa sponsorship for UK citizens. It is also open, obviously, to EU citizens.
This an on-site position, but some remote work is possible.
You must have:
- Knowledge of structured writing (preferably DITA) and managing content
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain and teach
Ideally, you will have:
- Some SEO copywriting
- Product communication skills
- 3+ years experience in technical writing
We are working with our recruitment partner in France on vacancy. After initial screening, we will forwarding applications to them for them to progress further.
#4509 Senior Technical Author, Competitive salary, Manchester Airport/Cheshire
This is an opportunity to work for a very successful software company that is looking to revise and improve its user assistance. The company is a leader in software that enables organisations to check their web applications are secure.
You’ll be working in a team of Technical Authors who create end user documentation for a range of software products.
The company plans to improve its documentation so that more clients can solve their problems themselves. This will involve creating more task-based content, tutorials, “cookbooks”, and writing scripts for instructional videos. There will also be a need to create reference content.
You’ll be working in a semi-formal Agile development environment, where there are regular product releases. This means the work will include writing release notes, and working closely with the development team.
- Have a track record in technical documentation
- Have the skills expected for a good Technical Author
- Be able to produce clean and consistent HTML (from an authoring tool)
Ideally you will have:
- Experience of designing and structuring content
- A strong academic record
Salary and benefits
The client has not specified a salary, but it has a reputation for having good salaries. They also offer a share option scheme and other benefits.
How to apply for a vacancy
- Send us an email.
- Tell us which vacancy you are applying for, and any other relevant information.
- Tell us about your right to work in the UK.
- Attach a copy of your CV via email (send it to recruit at cherryleaf.com). We will need a copy of your CV in Word format.
- We will confirm we’ve received your details, and review/process your application.