Useful advice and information to help you find the right technical communicator
Here are links to information to help you if you’re looking to recruit a technical communicator, or if you’re looking to start a career as a technical communicator.
Technical communicator salary surveys
Featured posts on Technical Author recruitment from the Cherryleaf Blog
- Starting a career as a Technical Author
- Is there gender bias in your Technical Author job advert?
- Becoming a Technical Author – writing your CV
- Deciding between a contract and a permanent Technical Author
- How many Technical Authors are in the UK? Here’s the answer
- Should Technical Authors be allowed to work from home?
- A day in the life of a technical communicator – interviews on YouTube
- The importance of documentation in business
- What is technical communication, actually?
- Technical writing career paths in the UK
- Do you need a Documentation Manager when Technical Authors are embedded into Agile project teams?
- What are your transferable skills?
Selecting the right candidate
Interview pack to help you select the best person for your technical writing vacancy
We are thinking of producing an interview pack, sharing what we know about selecting and recruiting the best Technical Authors, Technical Writers, UI Writers and UX Writers. Inside, you’d find useful tools and information, such as:
- Writing tests (with marking guidance)
- The option of an independent assessment of the work
- Proofreading/editing test
- Job competency framework
- Sample job descriptions
- Current salary data
- A framework for making an objective assessment of any writing samples
- Advice on questions to ask
If you are interested, send us a message.
How to assess a good technical communicator from a bad one when you’re recruiting
Knowing a software tool or technology isn’t enough to make you a competent technical communicator. So what skills does someone need to be a good technical communicator? And how do you assess them?
This is a free online training video where you’ll discover:
- The skills you need to be a good technical communicator
- The mistakes mainstream agencies often make
- A framework for assessing and selecting candidates
It’s based on the content we were ask to present at the “Build your Docs Career” event, hosted by the Government Digital Service.
Hiring a Technical Author can be hard. Cherryleaf can help.
Cherryleaf’s recruitment team specialises in finding you great Technical Authors, API documentation writers, UI/UX Writers, and courseware developers. Our staff are also technical communicators themselves, so we understand the role.
If you have a position to fill, use the button below to get in touch now.