In this page
An affordable way to master the skills of API documentation writing
Cherryleaf’s popular online training course teaches you how the keys skills of writing and managing an API developer portal. You’ll gain confidence you’re approaching each writing project in the right way, and creating content that follows best practice.
Why attend this course?
We use publicly accessible APIs, as part of this course.
We also show examples of developer portals from the DevPortal awards, Google, Microsoft, and others.
This course is recommended by the Australian Society for Technical Communication.Preview a module from the course
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone responsible for managing, planning or writing API documentation. For example:
- Developers wanting to provide API documentation that is complete and meets the needs of the users.
- Developers wanting to discover best practices in API documentation and developer portals
- Technical Authors wanting to understand APIs and how to write documentation for them.
What will I learn?
You will learn how to create an effective documentation portal for an API.
What is an API?
- Types of APIs
- Examples of APIs
- How REST and other APIs work
Using an API
- Authentication and accreditation
The audience for API documentation
- What do they want?
- Who uses API documentation?
What documentation should I write?
- What content goes into an API document?
- The twelve types of documents for developers that Google recommends
- Common structures for developer portals
- Automatically generated content
- Manually written content
- Writing the content
- Code samples
Design patterns in developer portals
- Standards and conventions
- Designing the content to meet the audience’s needs
- Creating content
- API Specification tools
- Automation tools
Managing an API documentation project
- Mixing automatically generated content with hand crafted content
- Editing and reviewing content
- Building a documentation team
The course modules are delivered over the Web in small, manageable video presentations. The course handouts and exercises are downloadable as Word or PDF files.
With the time needed to complete the exercises, each delegate will need to allocate around two days to complete the course. You can go at a pace that suits you. You can pause the videos at any time and return to the course at times that are best for you.
No programming experience is required.
There are a few free applications that you’ll be using, which you’ll need to install these before you start the course.
As well as teaching technical communication, we also create API documentation and developer portals for clients. This means every course is based on practical experience of technical communication in today’s environment.
Price and how to book
You’ll find the pricing on our elearning platform:
Interested in this training course?
To help us gain an initial understanding of your situation, please answer the questions in the contact form below.
Don’t worry if you don’t know the answers to all the questions.
We will contact you to discuss your situation and requirements.