Comments from delegates
“There is something new to learn for most technical authors who are in the early stages of their career. Overall, I would say that the course did benefit me, and I can see myself revisiting parts of it in the future.” Emma W., ARM plc
“I attended a job interview which included a written exercise where I had to jot down how I would go about designing and presenting information for the users of the service unit I was applying to. I could not believe my luck, it was as if the interviewer had designed it with the contents of this course in mind, and, as a result, I got the job!” Amber A.
“I thought it was an excellent course – very thought-provoking and useful. The exercises were enjoyable and really helped, far beyond simply reading from a book about the tasks involved in the job. And I greatly appreciate all your advice and support.” Karl D.
“Thank you very much for all your feed-back – I’ve been reading through this as it has come in this morning. This is really useful and very much appreciated.” David H.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for you if need a solid understanding of the Technical Author’s role and the fundamentals of technical writing in the IT, general business and software sectors.
Please be aware, it doesn’t cover the specialist requirements for aerospace, military, railway and automotive documentation, where documentation must be written to a specific XML standard. It also doesn’t cover how to write technical API documentation for developers.
This course is ideal for graduate and junior author induction training, as well as more experienced technical writers who’ve never had any formal training. The 2015 version includes new video recordings and exercises.
Self-assessment or reviewed/certificate option
You have the option of self-assessment or, alternatively, reviewed assessments with a certificate from Cherryleaf at the end of the course.
What will I learn?
The course is organised around the technical documentation process, describing:
- The purpose and value of technical documentation
- The entire documentation process—planning, writing, editing, indexing, and production.
- The skills you need as a technical communicator.
- How to work more efficiently by writing and designing your information in a structured, useful, usable and informed way
- The purpose of technical documentation
- The different models for technical documentation
- What is a technical author?
- Adopting a user-centred design approach
- Overview of the writing process
- Planning your content
- Researching the product and audience
- The Information Design stage
- Software tools
- Writing the topics – Overview
- Writing the topics – How to write and present different types of information
- Writing the topics – Using images and videos
- Writing the topics – Index, Search and Metadata
- Reviewing and editing
Duration and delivery format
The course comprises 15 modules in total, which you can complete at your own pace. You will be emailed details on where and how to login to the course once you have paid. This usually takes three to four minutes.
The course modules are delivered over the Web in small, manageable video presentations. The course handouts and exercises are downloadable as Word or PDF files. With the time needed to complete the exercises, each delegate will need to allocate around two days to complete the course.
You can pause the videos at any time and return to the course, for a period of six months (we can extend this on request).
This training course’s content is accredited by the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators, the professional body for Technical Communicators in the United Kingdom. It is an independent assessment of the course’s quality.
Professional certification as a technical communicator
Cherryleaf’s training courses can help you become a Junior, Certified Member or Certified Fellow of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC). The ISTC is the national professional body for technical communicators in the UK. It has members around the world.
Junior Members, Members and Fellows are certified by the ISTC through a vetting process, with Members and Fellows entitled to use the initials MISTC or FISTC after their names.
All ISTC members have a responsibility to maintain their professional competence through Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Cherryleaf’s courses can help demonstrate you are extending and updating your skills.
How much does it cost?
We offer the course in two versions:
- Technical Author/technical writing online training course with self-assessed exercises. The exercises in the course are not reviewed by us, but are assessed by you. The cost is £175 per delegate (ex VAT).
- Technical Author/technical writing online training course with reviewed assessments and a certificate. You send your answers to the exercises in the course back to us for review and feedback. You’ll also receive a certificate, once you’ve completed the assessments correctly. The cost is £225 per delegate (ex VAT).
You can choose which option you prefer in our shopping cart.
Want to pay in US $, EUROS or another currency?
Your credit card company will pay us in £ and convert that amount to your local currency. This means the converted amount appears in your local currency on your credit card bill.
As a rough guide to how much you’ll pay in your local currency, you’ll find the current rates from Yahoo Finance below:
- £175 – 219.57 USD / 207.66 EUR / 288.00 CAD / 284.76 AUD / 14,638.93 INR
- £225 – 282.31 USD / 266.99 EUR / 370.28 CAD / 366.12 AUD / 18,821.48 INR
Prices ex VAT. VAT is not charged on sales to non-EU countries.
The modules are password protected. If you wish more than one delegate to complete the course, then please contact us.
How to order
Ordering is simple. Just click the BUY NOW logo below. You will be taken straight to our ordering system.
You can pay using credit card or debit card. We now accept payment by American Express. The ordering system is secure and safe, via Sage Pay. Your Credit Card Statement will show an entry entitled “Cherryleaf”.
Free sample module
Complete the form below, and we’ll email you a link to a six minute sample from the course:
On site courses
If you'd like more information about Cherryleaf's training courses, including options for courses for groups in a single organisation, contact us.
Here is our Training services contact form.
If you can’t see the course you want, we may still be able to meet your needs.