Social Media experts, such as David Armano, of Dachis Corp, are proposing new business measures for assessing the effectiveness of social media marketing. Armano is proposing five key measurement factors:
- Attention: how many people are clicking on your site, blogs or tweets?
- Engagement: how much interaction there is between the community and you?
- Authority: your influence in the community and on the Web?
- Virality: how your information spreads by digital word of mouth?
- Health: the strength of the community and your online presence?
His slideshow covers this in more detail:
So can technical documentation be “re-framed” to meet these criteria? If so, will its value to the business become clearer?
I would suggest the most Documentation Managers would see these measurement factors playing to the strengths of technical documentation.
It wouldn’t take a great deal of effort to incorporate these factors into a documentation strategy. Be doing this, the efforts of the Technical Publications department would assist in maximising an organisation’s Social Web marketing efforts.
As a side effect, it could also move technical publications towards the centre of many modern organisations’ core activities.